Even if small businesses aren’t selling school supplies or clothing, there are plenty of ways to attract back-to-school shoppers to their products and services with targeted back-to-school ads. According to Forbes, back-to-school spending is the second biggest consumer spending event for retailers behind the winter holidays. Try pitching these back-to-school targeted ideas to help businesses take advantage of one of the biggest retail seasons of the year:
- Restaurants can offer discounts to college students and teachers during the first month of school
- Hair salons and barber shops can offer discounted back-to-school cuts and hair services
- Tutors can promote early registration
- Photographers can offer back-to-school discounted sessions
- Local book stores can offer discounts on popular novels
Timing is Important
When targeting back-to-school shoppers, reaching them at a specific time is important. Suggest that businesses advertise in July and August when people are thinking about back-to-school preparation most.
Recommend that businesses give customers what they want – big discounts. They can advertise contests with big rewards and other discounts in the local newspapers as well as social media. Businesses should consider offering free shipping and other back-to-school bundles to help increase sales.
Here’s a slideshow from BizBash that shows how companies are doing back-to-school marketing right.